Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM, F Wolff <friedel translate org za> wrote:
> On Vr, 2008-10-31 at 12:17 +0100, Petr Kovar wrote:

>> What about not using the foot logo, or introducing a new logo, if desirable,
>> in Thai (and Lao, and perhaps some others) locale only? Would the logo
>> change be sufficient solely as a part of your l10n processes?
>
> This sounds like an unintrusive and simple solution. I'm guessing there
> is no infrastructure in place to do this today, but is probably possible
> with a little bit of work.

Using icon theme can also be unintrusive. However, it should be nice
to make the logo better known, so that people can recognize it as
another GNOME representation, not a fork or rebranding or casual
customization.

For example, the Gorilla theme is more associated with Ximian than
the standard GNOME. We may have a new theme, but people may
not treat it as GNOME. And it would look weird to use the new logo
in promotion web sites and events. Some recognition at GNOME site
would help retain the unity in activities.

BTW, having repeated some assertions for several times, I think it's
enough for a dedicated live page:

  http://live.gnome.org/FootAndCulturalIssue

This summarizes what we have got so far, and what to do with the
cultural issue.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan