Re: On distro users feedback

On 9/27/07, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 23:14 +0300, Lucas Rocha wrote:
>
> > I have some ideas about how to make this happen but I'd like to know
> > the opinion of you, marketing fellows, first. My first-step-plan is to
> > (maybe) schedule an IRC meeting with members of GNOME Packaging Team
> > and other people involved with the distro communities to discuss some
> > ideas and know what they think.
>
> I've always wondered if maybe we need a dedicated 'user feedback' squad
> along the lines of the bug squad... a single point of contact (well, a
> single group of people) to whom user feedback from all sources is
> channeled[1], who would then rationalise it and organise it into
> something that would form the basis of a prioritised list of user
> requirements for each release.

My thinking was always that this was part of the role of the bugsquad,
since you can't do a good job processing bugs without understanding
user needs, project priorities, etc., Or to put it another way- if
bugsquad doesn't have a lot of the same skills as a hypothetical
userfeedbacksquad, it isn't a very good bugsquad.

But I'd agree that in practice this hasn't always been the case, and
recruiting methods for the different groups would probably be
radically different (even if they *should* be the same.)

Luis