Re: Fwd: .org Pavilion Call for Papers Now Open

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:59 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Glynn Foster wrote:
> > Thanks for the update - the current 'Events' contacts for the board are Behdad
> > or Dave. Guys, want to take this on? Even if it's just a case of making sure
> > they ping with board-list gnome or marketing-list gnome
>
> While I'm happy to do this (but Behdad is probably the better choice, if
> he can take this on),

I'll contact them.  My first reaction was that we should have an alias
for it, that automatically goes to board-list and marketing-list, but I
can imagine marketing-list not being open to nonsubscribers.  Still,
having an alias that goes to me currently would be better than
hardcoding my address.  I can ask on #sysadmin to get something like
events gnome org or something.  Thoughts?

> this reveals a deeper problem that I've mentioned
> before, and which we need to address. We have no US organisation
> co-ordinating our presence in conferences.
>
> This is something of a gap which was previously filled somewhat by Tim
> in the most important cases, but what we actually need is a US GNOME
> user group. And given how many people are working on GNOME in the
> greater Boston area, it seems reasonable that that group take over as
> the main contacts for LWE, in the same way that gnome-fr are the main
> contacts for Solutions Linux or FOSDEM, gnome-de are the main contacts
> for LinuxTag, etc.
>
> It's not a good idea for the board to take on this role long-term, and
> it will be much higher value to encourage the creation of a US user
> group (or even user groups by region).

Lets bootstrap this then.  How about pushing it on M��Duffy and Ray
Strode?

Any volunteers on marketing-list?

> Cheers,
> Dave.