Re: [Fwd: XHTML 1.1 or 1.0?]

--- Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
>  It is stated in that document that all pages should
> conform to XHTML 1.1. I think this is a bad idea
> unless you want to keep out Internet Explorer users
> since XHTML 1.1 requires the web server to send the
> MIME type application/xhtml+xml instead of the usual
> text/html. Internet Explorer only offers its user to
> download the file in that case.

Looking at the wikipedia article on XHTML, the only
advantage of 1.1 I can see is:
This version also allows for ruby markup support,
needed for East-Asian languages (especially CJK).

Is this an important advantage? (By the way: an extra
use case for the website: "Is gnome available in
language x?" I can't currently find this from the
site.)
Are there any other advantages?

Can we get an idea of what proportion of visitors to
wgo use IE, perhaps from server logs?
It might be fair to suppose that most of our audience
already use a free browser even if they are on
windows, but then this would exclude people who might
happen to want to access the site from work, a
library, a web cafe, etc.