Re: layout Plan - feedback form

Hi,

LeeTambiah wrote:
> Claus Schwarm has requested an extra block for the second page being a
> link to feedback form. I personally feel this is unnecessary  as the
> user can get information from the about section.
>
> Shall we go with this, drop it, or add as an optional component?

I've mostly stayed out of the webpage discussions because I don't have
any time to give it, and because Quim's been doing such a great job
leading the project, but there are a couple of things that are confusing
me here...

What exactly do you mean, Lee, by a "block"? Isn't a link just a link?
And which page is the second one?

Certain information can benefit from redundancy - for example, a link to
a feedback form makes sense on a "Support" page as on a "Contribute"
page. Or even on the "About" page. The lists of links should be kept
short (no more than 7 or 8 links in one block, if I understand correctly
what a block is). So if the second page is relevant to a "I use GNOME,
and would like to report an issue" use-case, and there is a block
relevant to "Contacting someone from GNOME", then a link to a feedback
form is relevant. The core question is, what is this second page for?

What's most important is that the pages be clean, with few blocks of
text, and a menu which brings you directly to most of the common
information you might want (see the UseCases for that information).

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary