Re: Secondary Nav Bar

karderio wrote:
> Hi :o)
>
> On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 11:30 +0100, LeeTambiah wrote:
>
>> It appeared to me yesterday, using the secondary navigation bar as a
>> vertical component on the right hand side would be similar to the Ubuntu
>> Site.
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/support
>>
>> I think it works very well as a navigation system.
>>
>> We need to decide on this component, are we going with the secondary bar
>> on the right of page like Ubuntu or are we locating it below the primary
>> navigation bar like YouTube?
>>
>> I will go with the majority decision of course.
>>

> Although I personally have a completely subjective preference for a
> vertical secondary navigation bar on the side, the one in the currently
> planned mockup [1] would seem to work fine. No complaints, nice mockup.
> Go for it ! (Not meaning to be pretentious, I'm not attaching much value
> to my opinions here :o)
>
> I'm unsure what the related links section is exactly, but I'm wondering
> if it might be better at the end of a page. If this is the only thing in
> the right column, it certainly would seem to waste space. Also these
> links may be of more use after the visitor has read the page, unless
> they are actually lost.
>
> I'm wondering if the breadcrumb trail is not just duplicating browser
> history functionality. Firefox certainly has a "go" menu, all be it
> containing links from other sites also (apparently the next version will
> also have a convenient "recently closed tabs" function). My worry is
> that the trail could confuse non web savvy visitors. If a site specific
> breadcrumb trail is all that useful, it would certainly seem to me to be
> a feature missing from web browsers.
>
> As a matter of interest, the sidebar on the Ubuntu website doesn't quite
> behave consistently - on the support page (the one in your link), the
> help section in the sidebar is permanently expanded, whereas on other
> pages you click to expand the sidebar sections. Also some sections on
> the sidebar lead to pages with a different sidebar, some even lead to
> other sites. An example not to follow I think. With this type of
> sidebar, I think it could be confusing for inexperienced web users to
> see the "secondary" sidebar links, interspersed between the "primary"
> links appear and disappear.
>
> Love, Karderio.
>

> [1]http://leetambiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/layoutPlanSecondary0.1.svg

Perhaps i should have been more specific, I was referring to the Ubuntu
site as a visual look only, NOT link structure. Our site would not
suffer the same issue's you have discussed above.

LayoutPlanSecondary0.2.svg [2] the two optional components "bread
crumbs" and "Related Links Block" need more discussion. Personally I
think the "bread crumb" component can be dropped. The "related links
block" would ONLY appear in some circumstances where extra related links
may be required. I think Quim will know more about the "related links
block" functionality or purpose than I.

[2]http://www.leetambiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/layoutPlanSecondary0.2.svg

Regards

Lee