Re: Secondary Nav Bar

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 11:30 +0100, LeeTambiah wrote:

> http://www.ubuntu.com/support

Right, this is an appropriate example. I have foun d another one at
http://www.sas.com/software/index.html (secondary nav in the left).

I have two concerns with detached secondary nav bars:

- They are detached  :)  and not always it is clear the dependency of
the secondar nav block over the primary nav bar. This is mostly a
look&feel work. Ubuntu keeps more or less a clear hierarchy because the
primary nav is aligned to the right, being at the top of the column.
Having the primary or the secondary in the left would be risky IMO.
http://leetambiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/layoutPlanSecondary0.1.svg has primary aligned to the left and secondary in the right column. I think this is risky, disorientating.

- They cause extra repetition of terms. The Ubuntu page has "Support" in
the primary nav, in the header of the secondary and the title. The SAS
page has "Products & Solutions" also 3 times. Not optimal, I think.

Combining primary and secondary either in horizontal or vertical
position shows clearly the dependencies and avoids repetition of words
in the navigation.

I still prefer a combined horizontal set, but if you prefer the detached
combination knowing its risks let's go ahead by now.

No matter what we choose we will always be able to improve once we work
with a real prototype. That's the good thing of good CSS and good CMS.

--
Quim Gil /// http://desdeamericaconamor.org | http://pinguino.tv