Re: User oriented release notes

Hi,

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 02:08:09 +0200
karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> What could take the edge off the buzz a user should be feeling when
> reading about GNOME ? Compilation options is one, links to "technical"
> fd.o standards another, there's the "code cleanups" section... Not to
> say these are bad, I don't mind them one bit - but telling a potential
> user about "compiling" even before he has seen the contraption can
> hardly promote it...

I believe you're making a common error: You think in terms of
developers vs. users. This is misleading.

Better think of (ordinary) users, enthusiasts, and professionals. Our
notes were written with enthusiasts and professionals in mind. We
ignored ordinary users because they don't read release notes. Never. If
they do, they are already enthusiasts.

Also note that we cannot hide the technical details of how Linux works.
There's simple no way to prevent a user running into 'compiling' stuff.
This is due to the distribution system of Linux and has nothing to do
with GNOME.

> The other criticism I could raise is a lack of at least one screenshot
> of the entire GNOME desktop.

[snip]

> Perhaps the criticisms I have directed at the release notes are not
> meant for them at all. The notes in fact being an excellent interim,
> bolstering the "About GNOME" section, which manages to say piles about
> GNOME's goals without ever saying what it does or what it looks like.

Yes, indeed. The release notes are not the 'About' section of GNOME,
and they should not be. The first page indicates differently but it is
simply a bug.

We do have screenhots on www.gnome.org -- theoretically, at least.
There's no need to have one in the notes, too. The ones we have just
need to be linked in the 'About' section.

Btw, a 'presenting GNOME'  section was started two years ago called the
tour. It's nearly finished in CVS but it needs somebody doing
screenshots. (And another one removing this docbook format.)

Cheers,
Claus