Re: making live CDs for EclipseCon

On 3/1/06, Ben Konrath <ben bagu org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to be running a GNOME booth at EclipseCon this year (March 20 -
> 23) and I want to make a live CD with GNOME 2.14 and Eclipse. Looking at
> the release date for 2.14, I might have to change that to GNOME 2.12.

You can ship a dapper-based liveCD with a late GNOME 2.13 with no
serious problems. It'll make shipping a recent eclipse much easier as
a bonus.

[I'd definitely suggest adding java-gnome:
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/bin/view/Main/GetJavaGnome

as well.]

> Anyway, the CDs that were handed out at GUADEC last year were kinda
> slick because they had a nice pretty graphic. Does anybody know how they
> were made or where the graphic came from?

Hrm. Not sure how the GUADEC liveCD images were made; I'm guessing
they were expensive (because of the color); inkscape plus some tracing
made for a nice-looking and cheap liveCD for LWE Boston last year.

> Any other details that might
> help me put something together would be appreciated.

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLiveCd

has all the instructions I have used in the past to generate liveCDs;
I admit I have not tested them with Ubuntu Dapper so I don't know how
well they work right now.

Luis