Re: The relation with gnomefiles.org

As I think is mentioned one one of the wiki pages, we need to reuse
information somehow, maybe with DOAP. Many people don't use gnomefiles.org
because we don't want to enter information in multiple places. I've mostly
stopped using freshmeat for the same reasons.

Gnomefiles has special needs for fields. If the DOAP standard can accomodate these (it was originally designed for Freshmeat AFAIK), and if someone help me out with the PHP part of pulling these correctly into the DB, the feature will be added.

An official GNOME software map must also clearly identify any software in
the map that is not free(dom) or open source, which gnomefiles.org doesn't
currently do.

As I wrote to the email the marketing-list that hasn't got through yet (I can't seem to be able to register with this list), this is to be fixed. For example, a non-OSS license will be displayed in italics, in red color and maybe a popup window explaining that this is not open source. I am not sure how more clear I can make it without changing the existing DB...

For instance, "VM Player" is listed, confusingly as
"freeware", and "VMware" is listed as "commercial".

Actually both are correct. VMWare is commercial (or was when it was entered in the DB) and VMWare Player is freeware.

Eugenia