Re: Ideas for "GNOME 3.0"

I like the idea, for a simple reason: Many people associate 3.0 with a
break; developers with the API break, and users with a break of the
usage model.

Both is bad, and talking about 3.0 just spreads fear, uncertainty, and
doubt. Introducing 3.0 for no apparent reason may stop this for a
while.

It's also a clear signal that we're NOT going to do any of the
real bad things like breaking API stability or the basic usage model in
the close future.

Cheers,
Claus

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:32:02 -0500
Owen Williams <ywwg usa net> wrote:

> Quite often the topic of GNOME 3.0 comes up among the GNOME user
> community.  To me, the gist of the response from the developer community
> seems like bad PR: "don't hold your breath."  I was thinking about
> "GNOME 3.0" recently from a marketing perspective, and what it would
> mean if we approached "3.0" from a marketing angle.

[snip]