Re: Fwd: [Promotion] Rolling up things

2006/12/18, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>:

Thilo: Tell me why (costly) collaboration on marketing issues is going to be
of more benefit than (cheaper) focus on our own awesomeness. I'm not keen to
read another essay answering a totally different question, though. :-)

Jeff: Why is collaboration on marketing more costly as if every
project focuses only to self? Your question is suggestive, which is
simply not correct to do. So I am not going to answer a question that
you allready have answered yourself. If I would agree to the terms of
your question you were right.

If you think freedesktop-promo is a bad idea or if you do not have the
time you do not need to join this efforts. Nobody forces you. I think
it is very worthwhile to invest my time in these efforts, simply
because it could reduce a lot of redundancy. And I also think that if
we want to make a huge step forward we only can market the "free
desktop" - it just does not make sense to market KDE or GNOME to the
masses. And advertising one will always hurt the other desktop,
because we then compete in media attention, what we are doing already
right now. Not because of somebody being negative but only through the
way marketing is currently done. Marketing GNOME is possible, like I
ellaborated on GNOMEs marketing list, but only if we tell people
honestly what they get and what they wont get. If both, KDE and GNOME
argument in the same way the chance of simply being ignored or at
least confuse people are greater.

Thilo
--
Blog: http://vinci.wordpress.com