Re: 2.16 slogan and banner

Cleaned up the "Your way home" a bit, and made a "Simply Powerful"
one, with a planetary touch.

http://panos.solhost.org/mockups/gnome-banner-03.png
http://panos.solhost.org/mockups/gnome-banner-04.png

Also, Lucas' work looks very smooth and fresh, *thumbs up*.

On 8/25/06, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
Good to see more mockups, that was quick!

Agreed, "Simply powerful" is a better slogan. This is the new default
candidate. If you can beat it, beat it.

In any case, new candidates for the slogan should refer to the concept
of "more things, better integrated".

So, sorry for the "Your way home" slogan because it goes too off the way
of what we want to explain for the 2.16 release. This doesn't mean you
can't work on a promotional GNOME banner, the idea is not bad and the
first drafts you send are interesting, worth working.

Once the concept is clear and we have a stronger slogan, let's
concentrate on the design.

From Pano's work I like the floating icons as shown in
http://panos.solhost.org/mockups/gnome-banner-02.png . It looks a bit...
conservative though. If we want to express "simply powerful" why don't
having stronger differences of size (I insist: have you tried playing
with oversized logos as you have never seen them in your desktop), and
not any linear position.

(I have just received http://www.rootshell.be/~loopback/gnomebanner/ -
I'll ad some comments while Luca introduces it to the list)

I like the selection of icons, they express things to any user. The
grouping effect is also interesting. The problem I see is the Creative,
Funny... Too many words, too many concepts for a single banner. Could be
a descriptive GNOME banner, but we need something sharper for the 2.16
release.

We are in the good way and only in 24h we have got very interesting
stuff. If you guys can keep the collaboration I'm sure we will get a
memorable splash banner.

Panos Laganakos