Re: www.gnome.org - content, scope, structure

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 21:00 -0600, Gezim Hoxha wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:00 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> > I've signed up for two of the goals for 2.16, because
> > they're closely related:

> Here are my thoughts:
>
> I think no one should need to scroll in WGO page (with current page I
> have 1200px height and I still have to scroll (a wee bit)). It's meant
> to be a gateway and you're not supposed to spend too much time on the
> index page. I think it should be separated into 3 sections, maybe using
> tabs and allowing users to change from "user" to "developer" to
> "business" (like http://www.suse.org does) or using images (maybe kind
> of like http://www.redhat.com has the 3 images).

I'd rather scroll a bit than click around. I really hate those docs
(converted usually from docbook) where each chapter is half a paragraph
on it's own page... Imagine you'd have to click for each post on planet
gnome, brrr :)

Splitting it up in sections is underway [1]. It's a bit understaffed
effort, you could help out!

> On top of these these tabs or images, we could have a flashy press
> release or promo page or whatever you want to call it, for one of our
> gnome "products" (why shouldn't we call them products?).
>
> I think two things lacking in the current gnome page is flashy images
> and no attention is paid to developers and businesses. Since businesses
> usually have a huge following (employees), a business converting would
> mean so many people being exposed to gnome. So, I think we need to take
> advantage of that.

My vote is definitely against flashy images. IMHO it's distracting,
unprofessional, and hard to maintain.

> As far as developers, I don't think we're paying much attention to them.
> I think the dev*.gnome.org page is a joke. We have a lot of work to do.

Agreed. See library.gnome.org [2] effort.

> Onto a little different topic, there is no reason people shouldn't know
> about the gnome brand. It completely shocked me when almost all of the
> student in my marketing class put up their hand when the prof asked who
> had heard of intel. People should know about gnome too, at the very
> least people using linux should know gnome.
They've been around for quite some time now, have a huge budget, and a
processor in pretty much everybody's computer (branded or compatible).
That said, I totally agree with the second part :) On a second thought,
I hope some people will just not have to care whether they have gnome,
if they don't want to. I couldn't care less what software runs on my
microwave, and I'm a geek :)

> Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Thanks for your input!

Greg