Re: Summit on gnome.org

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 20:38 -0400, rajiv vyas wrote:

> Let me look into this. Where can I find details (including summit
> topics) of past and present summit information?

The Summit is low-key and without hype.  Others on the list, who have
attended in the past, may be able to give you some sense of what was
accomplished. or started.

http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/summit2003.html

>  And what should be the
> focus of the release i.e. why is this summit important and how is it
> different from the past ones? Sorry, new to the list so would need some
> help in digging info.

jrb gives a good overview of what the Summit is/isn't about:
<http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-love/2004-October/msg00002.html>

Federico Mena Quintero and others want to discuss GNOME performance
testing that is being done, so that the necessary improvements for 2.14
can made.  Summit participants will be able to share data they have on
performance in various environments - the standard desktop, thin clients
and form factor devices such as the Nokia 770.

There were some lively discussions on marketing last year and that will
continue this year.  Jon "Maddog" Hall has posted his interest in
talking about marketing.  Other topics posted so far are here:
<http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005_2fBreakoutSessions>

> Also, any ideas on: how many developers attended the summit in 2004, how
> many are expected to attend this year and who the sponsors are?

There were 130 developers in 2004.  The Summit is sponsored by GNOME
Foundation, with support from Friends of GNOME.

Best,

tim