Re: GOSCON report

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 15:40 -0400, Tim Ney wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 22:18 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
>
> > Oregon is probably one of the most open source friendly states
> > we have.
>
> Very community oriented, too. I was able to visit and see the good work
> at free geeks, Portland's exemplary computer reuse project.

Yeah, and there are a bunch of groups as well.  A group of corporate
free software enthusiasts meet up every once in awhile and there is the
linux group which is pretty strong here in Portland.

> > > It was clear at GOSCON that agencies in other states will follow
> > > the lead of my home state Massachusetts.  One thing that impressed me
> >
> > Thats interesting news.  Did you get any good contacts that we would
> > be able to approach to provide say livecds or live demonstrations?
> > I could help if you have Oregon contacts.
>
> Some vendors have provided demonstrations, but I'll pull together some
> contacts there, if you are willing to follow up.

Sure, I can follow up.  You might want to ask them if they mind or not.

> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 20:05 -0400, Rajiv Vyas wrote:
>
> > Which of the speakers did you find most interesting? Were there any
> > state CIOs as speakers and Who stood out (among state CIOs) in terms of
> > conviction, logic and also had their Return on Investment Calculations?
>
> It would be tough to single out one speaker over the other.  Everyone
> in government who I spoke with at GOSCON, including Congressman Wu, is trying
> to do more with the resources they have.  The words community and collaboration
> came up repeatedly.  There is certainly no patent on those words.

I would have loved to have met Congressman Wu, it would have been an
interesting meeting him.

sri