Re: Some thoughts on the future of gnome

Alan McGinlay wrote:

Thats not really what I mean, I mean that by the time Vista is released
there could be a windows version of the gnome desktop environment which
users could install on their existing windows XP/9x OS. to them it
would just be like installing any other piece of software except that
it would replace the start menu and control of the desktop with the
gnome environment!

I don't know how this would work to be honest but progress is already
being made in porting apps like gnome-meeting (I think it's basically
ready) to windows, so why not the whole shebang?

Ok I understand what you want to achieve, but what would be better for the user? This could increase the size of the GNOME user community but would it do anything better for the user than today? Are current Windows users really unsatisfied with the way Windows presents them a desktop or is it more the applications themselves or the way the whole OS behaves? I think having the same set of applications available across different platforms (this would also include Mac OS X) would benefit the users more than adding an additional layer of complexity to the operating system. By porting the whole GNOME environment to Windows and run it as a substitute for the Explorer (and I think there have been discussions on the KDE side as well on that topic) you would create another "version" of Windows which then would be difficult to support by the network of friends and neighbours. You would also still have to carry all the stuff that Windows provides in terms of libraries as users
of course want all their Windows applications to function.
So I think it would make more sense to port applications to Windows and give the user a positive experience rather than go for the World Domination(tm) approach by being installed on every single operating system there is just for the sake of increasing the amount of users.

It's the applications that matter, not the OS or the presentation of the OS itself.

But that's just my 0.02$ :)

Michael