Re: evangelist users- the other key note from LCA marketing BOF

On 5/19/05, Marcus Bauer <mbauer tiscali fr> wrote:
> Some major flaws in current gnome marketing:

There are many :)

> Gnome does not really promote its ease of use.

We don't very effectively, you're right. When I promote it at LWE
(because usability is practically the /only/ thing I talk about at
conferences or when I sell GNOME in other contexts, like press
releases), people's jaws drop, as you saw when you pointed out n-c-b.
We should be doing more, though I'm not sure how to structure the
website and other materials to do that better.

>Havoc's README that comes
> with the metacity package simply needs to be polished up into a
> press-printable form (shorter, less rant, less technical).

Which part?

> KDE embraces Gnome apps where there is no equivalent (gimp,inkscape) as
> well as technology (gnome-volume-manager). These apps are often not
> perceived as Gnome apps from KDE users. So one just needs to tell
> them ;-)

This is part of why I like the 'heart of the desktop' theme; we get to
take credit for things like gimp, inkscape, etc.

[Note that while I agree that usability is our strongest argument,
that isn't the same as making it our strongest slogan- I think the
slogan first needs to convey who we are, and be phrased so as to allow
us to simply/easily tie in our strong arguments, like usability, after
the fact.]

> Knoppix was one of the major precursors for KDE and there is still no
> real competition. It was spread out hundreds of thousands of copies with
> PC-Magazines and the like, being the first contact with linux for many
> people. Imho konppix is the absolut no.1 hit in KDE marketing. There are
> even books now about knoppix.

Well, let's get cracking on making the GNOME liveCD similarly well
publicized :) Besides the language stuff you and I are hopefully
working on, I want to do things like:

* work with the Ubuntu folks to make the first truly accessible Linux liveCD
* work with the monoppix folks (or others) to make the best mono liveCD

Those are the offhand things- I'm sure there are others.

> The Gnome website is - what? It exists. But from a marketing point of
> view it is not much. The navigation is sub optimal. And the layout is
> sub optimal. Some good information is now on gnomefiles but unless you
> know what you are looking for it is far from perfect.

It should be totally redone. Any suggestions on how are welcome. The
reality is, though, that it is a large task and until we agree on some
bigger-picture stuff (like markets, themes, goals, etc.) it is hard to
rework the whole thing consistently.

Luis (who some days thinks he should just take a month and rewrite the
thing after some card-sort excercizes with people)