Re: GNOME tour?

Claus Schwarm wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:04:21 -0400
Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:

For the liveCD, I'd like to use Theora, but probably flash or even
still/simple screenshots makes sense for the web.

A screenshot tour (8 - 10 shots, maybe) along with explanations what is
shown on the screenshot would be fine and sufficient for a start, IHMO.

Maybe we can start editing a rought guideline (ie the explanations) on a
wiki page?
Indeed, do a guideline for an initial tour and I'll try to make a demo in vnc2swf as well, just to compare how they
look and feel, and quantify the amount of extra work.

In general, SWF can be converted to AVI (or Theora) and back, using tools such as mplayer or VideoLan. I think Miguel did first some nice presentations of Mono programming with vnc2swf, but I do not have a link for that. You may see http://www.livejournal.com/users/simosx/269.html for two such demos.

Some points to mention
a. In general getting people to redo the tutorial for their own language is a difficult task, as they will have to get the skills in doing it. See for example the screenshots for the release notes of GNOME 2.10. There was different degrees of quality and many did not manage to make them on time (ok, they had to get garnome/jhbuild for these..) b. The ideal situation is when one person can do the tutorials for several languages, simply by switching between locales, and not requiring much on understanding the local language. There has been a request to the gtk+ people to allow for fast-switching between locales without having to restart the program. If you find any of the gtk+ people, chat with them if this is achievable, as it will help in many ways the localisation teams. Ok, this point is just for some hints, let's not divert attention away from the tutorial issue... :) c. Along with the SWF/AVI tutorial it's possible to add sound, as with a person describing what's being done. The effect is marvelous,
though it's much more work.
d. Another option is to create animated GIFs, perhaps as a way to enhace screenshot-only presentations. Again, rougly speaking, animated GIF<->Flash<->AVI.

Simos