Re: Tuxmagazine

On 5/2/05, Claus Schwarm <c schwarm gmx net> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:00:12 +0200
> Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
>

> > But it doesn't measure people using a free desktop at work, or in
> > telecenters, or atr school, who may not know they're using linux, and
> > certainly don't browse those sites that run online surveys on whether
> > you're using GNOME or KDE.
> >

> True.
>
> On the other hand, are there really that many 'uninformed' GNOME desktop
> users compared to the worldwide amount of geeks who also don't vote in
> online polls?

Well, the world's most popular linux distro defaults to GNOME, and the
largest deployments in the world (spain and brazil) use GNOME as well.
So, yes, there is a strong suggestion that we are actually the choice
of the silent majority. But yes, we have to learn to turn that into a
non-silent majority, since the only hard data (besides those ones I
just mentioned) are these damnable online polls.

Luis