Re: Making websites for gnome-apps sexier

Luis Villa wrote:

On 6/10/05, Andreas Nilsson <nisses mail home se> wrote:
I dare to claim that the websites for various gnome-apps needs to get
Yeah, the average site could stand to be nicer :) It would be nice if
there were a or something that included standard links
like where to get it, hacking tips, so on, so forth, that people could
copy/paste to do their own site from.
Sure, I'll get on that one as soon as possible.

Sweet. Like I said, I would volunteer to use this and give you
feedback once you got a little something started.

[Oh, and a sexier would be a nice one-time
fix for someone too!]

Jeff and I have talked about this a bit on web-list, FWIW, Andreas;
don't know if you are on there or not.
Yes, since a couple of days back.

Perhaps both. Imagine someone surfing and finds, lets
say, eye of gnome. Click the link that leads to the website for that
project, tries it out and feels the need to say draw a new icon (!).  If
there are some nice information on how to reach the developers right
there on that site it would be really nice. But yeah, I see your point
that it would be a lot of work to maintain websites with somewhat the
same content for every module in gnome. A lot of stuff could probably be
generated automaticly though.

Given that we have at this point a very poor web infrastructure
(despite discussions on how to fix that that now go back for three
years) I'd recommend against auto-generating things. Perhaps for now
the right approach is for the GFooBar template to have sections that
allow for customization, but generally offer pointers to useful
project-wide links:

Getting Involved

To get involved, contact FILLMEIN

More information about getting involved with other GNOME apps (and
many tips that apply to GFooBar) can be found at

In most ways, GFooBar is a typical GNOME App; you should refer to for more information on debugging
it, and (more generic links).

Specific things you need to be aware of when debugging GFooBar:

Drawing Icons

All icons drawn for GFooBar should match the GNOME Icon Style Guide, <link>

If you want to draw a specific icon for GFooBar, contact our team
artist at FILLMEIN (or gnome-art-list if there is no team artist.)

(Not really sure if I'm making myself clear here, or if this would get
updated very often. I would hope so :)
Are there currently a gnome-art-list?
This is badly needed in order to get new artists. Currently an aspiring artist have no or little clue where to turn.

And yes, there defenetly needs to be some easier way to find the
relevant information on how to start hacking on some project, what
urgently needs to be fixed and stuff like that. Someone really needs to
overlook and figure out what is outdated and if it
is possible to make start hacking on gnome sound like fun. More on that
later down.

Agreed that is stagnant and it is not a healthy
sign for us that no one cares to fix it.

<snip lots of positive talk about evo's website>
I probably could go on like this for hours about the site... ;)

So incorporate some of those ideas into the template ;)
I will.

Do you need help getting it committed?

Yes, I don't have cvs access of any kind. Alex asked me if I could
maintain it and I have mailed Christian Schaller that was in charge of
the old page...but yet no response. Should I send a tarball to you so
you can put it there?

Yeah, I could totally take a tarball and commit it for you.

Good. I'll send it to you tomorrow.
- Andreas