Re: Drawing the pretty pictures

Welcome Andreas!
It's really good to have people that have proper background in artwork.

There is something already you may want to look into! Sorry in advance
if I dump too much information, too soon..

When you boot with a GNOME LiveCD, the very first screen shows a "Boot
splash" image, such as
http://planet.hellug.gr/misc/elliniko-gnome-final.PNG
http://project77.info/gnomelive/

Now, how the first screen appears is quite important for first
impressions in a marketing way, so the boot splash should look good.

My suggestion would be to have a different boot splash for every release
of the GNOME Live CD (happens every six months, next is around
September). So, for each LiveCD release a new boot splash, one that will
be similar across different languages (French, German, etc) of the
LiveCD.

To create such an image, see
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LiveCDCustomizationHowTo
and specifically the section "Customizing the bootsplash". In that
section there is a reference to an .SVGfile
(http://planet.hellug.gr/misc/gnome-greek-logo.svg)
which can be edited with programs like InkScape. This file has been used
for a few LiveCDs already.

Therefore, around September there will be a need for a new super
fabulous boot splash.

I am not sure if anyone wants to recommend working for a new boot splash
for potential new LiveCDs based on Ubuntu 5.04.

Simos

Στις 03/Ιούν/2005, ημέρα Παρασκευή και ώρα 19:09, ο/η Andreas Nilsson
έγραψε: