Re: Linux Journal Awards

Hi,

Jeff Waugh wrote:
>   "For several years now, KDE and GNOME have finished first and second,
>   respectively, with an ever-increasing distance between the two. This year,
>   KDE received two votes for every one GNOME received."
>
> We may joke about geeks voting on website polls, but these are our padawan
> proto-hackers, the footsoldiers of guerilla marketing, and sirens of word of
> mouth recommendation. We would do well to have them on our side. I would
> rate this as our highest marketing (and development!) priority of the year.

So - assuming that my theory that the two biggest markets for
GNOME will be public administrations and early adopters is
correct (see http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/TargetMarkets for
my comments on this), we're in agreement about one of the target
audiences of any GNOME marketing. So - how do we get to them?
Word-of-mouth? If so, how does one go about seeding a groundswell
buzz?

Do we have to start posting on slashdot? :)

What I'm getting at is, sure it'd be nice to have the Linux
crowd, student comp.sci; students and all of the other groups to
like us, but so far our guerilla marketing schemes center around:

1) Getting posters, and having a GNOME presence at LUG
conferences
2) Getting university computer groups to start giving away GNOME
liveCDs
3) start loading online polls ;)

The LiveCD seems to be coming along, Sebastien's been working on
some posters, user groups are auto-organising all over the place.

What do you think we should do to start getting a groundswell
buzz? Start shouting about cool stuff happenning in GNOME?
Posting news articles about new cool stuff every now and again?
Planet GNOME has been our #1 marketing mechanism for the past 2
years. How can we improve on that?

Cheers,
Dave.

--