Desktop personas (draft)

Le mardi 06 décembre 2005 à 18:08 +0100, Dave Neary a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I think both our development and marketing would be helped (to have
> > organisational focus) by having Personas. A university was working on them
> > a couple of years ago, but that effort seems to have failed.
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-December/msg00482.html
>
> So - who wants to take this on? (don't be shy)

Just as a quick reply because it seems like a good way to structure
marketing efforts:

there are three groups of desktop personas:

  1. private
  2. business
  3. public sector

1. private personas
====================

1.1 Youngster
-------------
The youngster is roughly between 15 and 25 years old and still in the
education system (school/college/university). The computer is more than
a tool - it is a natural part of his/her life. On the desktop he uses a
browser to surf the net (with the typical media plug-ins), email,
instant messaging and an office suite (text, spreadsheet, presentation).
He is open to blogging and may have a blog himself. VOIP will save him
money on long distance calls.

He typically owns an mp3 player, a digital camera and a mobile phone and
wants to connect them to his computer. He will do basic image
manipulation and likes to manage his collection of photos and videos.

He does not care about free because his software is already "free" - he
has enough friends who "give" it to him. Important is that his computer
just works. Bluescreens, long texts vanishing suddenly into nirvana,
reinstalls, viruses and spyware drive him nuts. He will like to plug-in
a USB printer or a scanner and it just works. He does not care about
backups but will be more than happy to figure out that somebody else did
for him when it becomes necessary.

Can be reached on open days / events and simply next door

1.2 Literate
------------
Knows how to use a computer. Uses internet and an office suite. Needs
less than the youngster but will be happy to make his tax declaration at
the end of the year. Probably has some kids and likes kids software
too.
Can be reached on open days / events and simply next door

1.3 Illiterate
--------------
Grew up with the mechanical typewriter. Still likes it simplicity - put
paper in, type, finished. Falls therefore immediately in love with the
google homepage. Prefers abiword over openoffice and still thinks it has
waaaaay to many menues, buttons and options. Uses computer to write and
print texts, write emails and surf the internet. Would be very happy to
manage his photos from his digital camera and do basic image operations
like contrast, brightness, resize, crop.
Can be reached on open days / events and simply next door

2. business persona
======================

2.1 small business
- free appeals to him
- office suite, email, browser
- hates viruses and spyware
- likes vino if a knowledgable person sits on the other end
- simply does not know what OSS can do for him
- feels good to hear about success stories
- can be reached on open days / events and simply next door

2.2 medium business
2.3 corporate
[novell, redhat, ibm, canonical and others care about them]

3. public sector persona
- schools, colleges/universities, administration
- free appeals to them (both beer and freedom)
- no viruses appeals to them
- feels good to hear about success stories
- can be reached on open days / events, direct contact

Well, one can write way more, but that is what quickly comes out of my
fingers.

Marcus