Re: Pronouncing "GNOME"

Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Travis Reitter">

Would it make sense to change the official pronunciation of "GNOME" to
"gnome" to smooth out this blip?

Nah, I don't think so. It's a funny little cultural thing that some people
enjoy, almost like a club. :-) I don't think it has a negative impact on us.
There is an official pronounciation of GNOME, which is "guh-NOME", per
http://www.hardcorehackers.com/doc/gnome-faq/html/pronunciation.html
http://zenii.linux.org.uk/~telsa/GDP/gnome-faq/

Marketing-wise, I think it would be good to have a common pronounciation of GNOME. Else, when people meet up to discuss GNOME, they will first have to agree on the pronounciation. Ok, would be a great ice-breaker, but I feel it's a bit too much to have to do with the name. Also, imagine a conference where speakers use different pronounciations. The audience and especially
journalists would not like the funny side of it.

Personally I feel awkward when I talk with people about Linux, when there are people pronouncing Lainuks.

The pronounciation issue has previously been discussed in
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2000-January/thread.html#00452
with agreement on "guh-NOME".

Miguel was enticed to do the "This is Miguel de Icaza and I pronounce GNOME as GNOME" thing
but did not bite:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2001-May/msg00206.html

I feel it would be good to push forward a common pronounciation, at least for the purposes of marketing.

Simos