Re: gnome-about-me

<quote who="John Williams">

> You are right to be a stat-cynic, if by that you mean that much published
> research and estimates of percentages are unreliable.
>
> If, however, you mean that the science of statistics is useless (as
> opposed to mis-used), I beg to differ.

No, I mean that the numbers we're going to get are not useful enough for
doing real stats work. It's going to involve a lot of fudging and so on.

> > I know I'm repeating myself, but here's what I think the only really
> > useful and sane strategy is: Put a link in the About GNOME box to a
> > "stand up and be counted" web page on wgo. Simple, effective, and you
> > don't even have to find the feature in your desktop (because it will be
> > exposed on the site too).
>
> Wouldn't it be more effective if it was in "About Me"?

No, because I almost guarantee that distros will gladly rip it out as an
irrelevant interruption (yes, even a tab with "HEY MAN TELL GNOME YOU LOVE
THEM!!!11" is an irrelevant interruption).

> Can we get ANY HARD DATA on assumption (2)?  Anyone lurking who works for
> a major distro?

I don't think I'd want it in such an inappropriate place in Ubuntu. I can't
think of a use case where telling GNOME we love them is a primary user goal
for this dialogue. I want to help GNOME through Ubuntu [1], but I wouldn't
want to do it in a blatant racing-car branding kind of way.

- Jeff

[1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~jdub/screenshots/ubuntu-about-gnome.png

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

  "We live in a place where policy discussion is conducted with money." -
                                Eben Moglen