Re: GNOME Logo & Typeface

[I meant to send this to the mailing list, but instead it just went to David Neary.]

David Neary wrote:
> The font is Trebuchet MS, ironically enough.

It's been almost two years exactly since the negotiations to get a font that everyone can share and build on -- the Bitstream Vera fonts. http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ says the last revision of something in regard to that page was on April 16, 2003.

Trebuchet MS is only available at zero cost, it would not qualify as free software. This alone should have disqualified its use to represent an official GNU Project work.

The logo's look would change if the GNOME logo switched fonts, however I think it was a bad idea to base a GNU Project's logo on a non-free font in the first place. It should be considerably embarassing that the GNU Project can't "eat its own dog food", as the saying goes, when it comes to making a logo.

It will be even more embarassing if those who want vector versions of the logo have to resort to creating it, which will require using the non-free font.