Re: Getting marketing-list going again..

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 00:21 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 16:46 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > Greetings folks!
> >
> > I thought I would (with a little help from Luis) attempt to get
> > marketing list and see if we can come up with a good strategy to market
> > GNOME to all those people who we KNOW want to use it. :-)
> >
> > To start off, I thought we would use Luis's notes from GNOME Summit
> > as a point to start off discussion.  I haven't put anything up yet becuase
> > there is still web infrastructure that we need to get marketing going and
> > we don't quite have that yet.  Hopefully, after the infrastructure move
> > is complete we have somewhere to go.
> >
> > Please read:
> >
> > http://tieguy.org/events/2004/gnomesummit/marketing-notes/
> >
> > Comments, thoughts?
> >

> I was particularly intrigued by
>
> "* need live CD for conferences, media, etc.- imagine being able to send
> CDs of 2.7.9 to eWeek, etc."
>
> in the TODO list.
>
> I have some experience with building Live CDs - and I was wondering
> if we can hook up the GNOME tinderbox
> (http://gnome-build.ximian.com/tinderbox/LATEST/) with a (semi)automated
> Live CD build system ??
>
> The basic idea is to get the build system do the install in some system
> wide accessible directory (maybe /opt/gnome<version>??), and if the
> entire process is successful, copy that entire directory into a live cd
> file system (shell script), and then build the live cd (scriptifiable).
>
> It's just a crazy idea of mine - comments, flames, brickbats are
> welcome.

Sounds like a wild, crazy idea I like ;) I hadn't made the connection
between the tinderbox and the liveCD stuff at all. It would be fairly
easy to get the tinderbox to build into a prefix in /opt/<foo>/, copy it
into a livecd tree, create an iso, and deposit it somewhere for
download, assuming someone could provide a functional base livecd system
that could take the stuff in /opt/<foo>/.

Any chance you could find/create such a base system, sayamindu? :)

Luis