Re: LiveCD Media Project

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 20:53 -0500, Ian McIntosh wrote:

> MPG, 7MB, "Building on the Past" movie

If we can find it, maybe a copy of the redhat 'first they ignore you...'
video?

> --------------------------
> In progress:
> --------------------------
>
> OO.o Writer, 30K, The "OO Writer Example" document
>
> PDF, 180K, Some GNOME poster?  One of Seb's?

A couple even.

> --------------------------
> Still need to FIND/PICK:
> --------------------------
>
> MP3/OGG, 4MB, a CreativeCommons-licensed track? (which?)

I can rip any/all of the Wired CC CD if you need it. (It's still in the
pristine wrapper ATM, oddly enough.)

> JPG/PNG, 1MB, some nature photos or GNOME-branded art? (which?)

Unless we find something oddly compelling, I don't think we need flat 2D
art here- showing off 'we can show images' in 2004 is roughly like
bragging about printing text, it seems to me.

> SVG, 100K, a file used for the Inkscape screenshots? (emailed one author
> so far)
>
> DOC, 500K, ideally something well known that we DIDN'T create, to
> 'prove' that DOCs can be opened. (ideas?)
>
> XLS, 300K, same as DOC (ideas?)
>
> --------------------------
> Still need to CREATE:
> --------------------------
>
> OO Calc, 30K, an example of advanced HOME use (tracking household
> expenses?)
>
> OO Impress, 200K, Maybe a stock "About GNOME" presentation?

I'd be uncomfortable shipping calc and writer without also shipping .abi
and .gnumeric docs. I'd even ship those in preference, at this time.
It's not a Free Desktop disc- it's a GNOME disc.

> Theora video, ?MB, is this necessary given that we already have an MPG?
> (and limited space)

In an ideal world, someone could do an MPG->Theora conversion and we'd
ship Theora in preference to MPG, assuming we want to be consistent
about our message.

Anyway, awesome stuff, Ian- thanks for keeping this ball rolling-
Luis