Yes, this is the future planned for Maps. Hinges on infrastructure really.
See here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Maps/ClientSideRendering
And my GUADEC talk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfffzj4XZus

Sad to see this happening, GNOME Maps are one of most interesting GNOME
projects for me in recent history.

Thanks for saying so!

Peter.

Jonas

On 2016-07-13 07:16, Jonas Danielsson wrote:

This all brings me to a general status report for Maps. I have been
absent from the project lately.
The reason is lack of time and motivation. Day Job and family have
been  taken front seat for awhile.
Marcus, Andreas, Amisha and the rest of the team have been keeping up
with some things. But we
no-one have been making releases.

Glad to hear you're OK!
No need to apologize for your absence. Time and motivation comes and goes,
and I'm grateful for all the time you've put into the application, on a pure
volunteer basis.
Marcus and myself have mostly spent time on the public transportation
branch this cycle, and the branch is shaping up really well.

I will need some help. Help with contacting OpenStreetMap. Help with
finding solution to our tile
issue. I think we are going to need our own tiles.gnome.org for a map
appplication/platform
to be feasible.

Do you mean tiles.gnome.org as in a tile server, or as a proxy?
What kind of hardware would be needed for a tile server?
- Andreas

mortigi tempo
Pēteris Krišjānis