Re: Comparison between CLDR and POSIX

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 19:36 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hummm,.  I'll go for LC_MESSAGES.  The layout direction should
> follow the gui messages after all.  That's how it's handled in Qt
> and Gtk+ these days.

I don't know about Qt, but gtk+ does it that way only because it can't
have it any other way. Since the locale does not provide any information
about the text direction, the only way it can have it customizable but
not having it hard-coded for a certain list of locales, is doing it
through a gettext message of "direction:LTR" which is translated to
"direction:RTL" in right-to-left locales.

It's just a hack, because it couldn't have been in any of the LC_s. It
doesn't mean Gtk+ chose LC_MESSAGES for this kind of configuration
intentionally.

roozbeh