Re: Comparison between CLDR and POSIX

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > OK. This is acceptable. So let's put the writing direction under
> > LC_CTYPE, this avoids creating a new environment variable.
>
> Hummm,.  I'll go for LC_MESSAGES.  The layout direction should
> follow the gui messages after all.

I don't agree. The user's habit of having the "File" menu on the left and
the "Help" menu on the right, or vice versa, is unrelated to whether the
quality of the string translations is sufficient for him to set
LC_MESSAGES=he_IL.

> That's how it's handled in Qt and Gtk+ these days.

I don't know about Gtk+, but Qt doesn't have the distinction between
multiple locale facets/categories at all. It normally uses a single locale
at a time (see QLocale::setDefault).

Bruno