Upgrade guidance

Ladies and Gents...

I am faced with the task of upgrading a hydrological simulation model [1] from an early libxml++ (libxml++-0.15.0) to a contemporary one (target libxml++-2.38.1).  The code is quite complex and XML parsing is replete.

It appears, as one would expect, that over the years libxml++ has fundamentally changed it's class structure, i.e. XMLNode in 0.15.0 is no longer defined.

So, I'm looking for guidance and suggestions on how to approach such an endeavor, in the hopes that someone has tread this path.

[1] http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xweb%20-%20release%202/regional%20simulation%20model

Thanks!

JP