Building libxml++ with self-build libxml2

Hi!

I want to use libxml++, but installing it via package manager on the system I'm working on is not an option. So I've downloaded libxml2 and built it. Now I am trying to build and link libxml++ against this build, but the configure script always complains:

No package 'libxml-2.0' found
No package 'glibmm-2.4' found

The second one is obvious, glibmm is not there. But libxml2 is there, and no matter how I try to tell the libxml++-configure script the paths, it still complains about the missing libxml-package.

How do I get libxml++ to run on this system?

Thanks in advance,
Jost