[libxml++] std::string as a container for UTF-8 data in libxml++

I'm one of the (many?) libxml++ 2.0 users who's using std::string in place of glib::ustring as a container for text. For various reasons outside of my control, I am not able to link to glib::ustring, but I do occasionally need to get non-ASCII Unicode data out of XML documents. Am I correct in believing that libxml++ will correctly store UTF-8 data in a std::string, such that I can later access the contents of a std::string's character buffer directly and the UTF-8 data will still be intact, or does std::string somehow mangle or reject non-ASCII characters?

Thanks,
Tim