RE: [libxml++] Patch for Node::find( nonexistent_xpath ) to retur n empty NodeSe t

> From: andy glew amd com [mailto:andy glew amd com]
> I chose the fix that most quickly solved my problem:
> having libxml++ return an empty NodeSet when libxml2 does.
> I did NOT choose to throw an exception as Murray suggested,
> since (1) that would make my code using it more complex,
> and (2) it is onconsistent with libxml2.
>
> Long term the right way is to do what Stefan Seefeld suggested,
> returning an XPathResult that unifies NodeSets and other
> xpath return types.  I'm not bothering to do that yet,
> since I have not decided whether to use libxml++
> or Xerces or xml4c, the IBM C++ binding.

Someone should look at Java's Xerces API to see what that does. I think it's
a fairly well-thought-out interpretation of the XML specs. Your fix is fine
in the meantime.

> I owe a few more patches, but am reluctant to do so
> until there is a testing framework for libxml++.
> Does one of the developers (Murray?) have a preference
> for a testing framework?

I don't really see how this stops you from submitting patches. It you want a
testing framework then please work on one. I have no particular thoughts
about it. I don't think there is a great need because libxml++ is quite a
thin wrapper and libxml has many tests.

If you really want, you might look at the libxml test structure and see if
you can duplicate it for libxml++.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net