Re: [libxml++] Character encoding, UTF-8 and such

At Thursday, June 12, 2003 1:27 PM, Murray Cumming wrote:
> No, it's always UTF8. Input and Output. That's simple, and that should work.
> You can use glib::ustring with that now if you want.

Well... libxml++ still takes std::string references for it's input of strings. And until that changes I can't see any way (short of accessing libxml directly) that I could use anything other than that. It's not possible to store UFT-8 data in std::string; thus I am limited to ASCII input (if I want libxml to behave).

I agree that libxml++, in the future, should require UTF-8 input (through glib::ustring or whatever), and nothing else. But that day is not here yet, thus I proposed to make it a rule that right now (well, after the propsed change) libxml++ accepts ISO-8859 input, instead of just supporting ASCII input, as it is now. As I outlined in my previous message, this change can be done without changing anything in the outside API.

Morten.

email-body was scanned. No virus was found.