[libxml++] templates v. library

I was wondering, if we decide that it makes sense for libxml++ to become a set
of templates in headers instead of a library, in order to allow a choice of
string classes, why doesn't the same argument apply to all other libraries,
such as gtkmm? Is it just that libxml++ is smaller? If so, does anyone
advocate that all small C++ libraries should actually be templates, given that
almost all C++ libraries will tend to need a utf8 string class? I don't mean
to sound rude - I'm just trying to be logical.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net