Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [libxml++] UTF8 support]]]

Back to the point: I use this C++ wrapper in a couple of projects. I
don't want to deal with more than one if not absolutely necessary.

I have really made up my mind but at the moment I am slightly against this API
change because:
1. I don't think _many_ people want to use libxml++ with a pre-existing
Unicode string class other than Glib::ustring. I do understand that you want
to personally but it's still hard to know what people want in general. I would
gladly hear from other people who want to use QString with libxml++, or some
other class.

I'm not using unicode at the moment, but if I wan't to add it to my project later I don't want to be restricted in my choice of unicode library by the interface of libxml++. I use neither Qt nor glib now, so I might choose
another unicode library.

2. I'm not sure that it's worth giving up the benefits of libxml++ being a
shared library just so that people don't have to write utility functions to
convert from Glib::ustring to their own string classes. In particular I'm
scared of asking people to recompile their apps just to get minor libxml++
implementation fixes.

Again, I haven't made up my mind. And again, I'm not sure. And because I'm not
sure I might write this up again later and ask for a vote.

Not that this, or the use of glibmm, would definitely go into the unstable
branch only anyway.

Of course, one shouldn't have to recompile applications when new minor stable versions are released. But I think a new major version (1.0 or whatever comes next) should use templates.

Philipp Krause