Re: [libxml++] UTF8 support

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 01:59, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 03:31, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> >
> > I hope this clarifies my suggestion a bit.
>
> Yes, we should consider it. So far I can think of these 2 disadvantages:
> - All implementation is via templates in headers - so we can't fix it
> just by installing a new version - applications must be recompiled.

And how is that any different than what you're doing now?  Your current
paint-yourself-into-a-corner implementation doesn't allow any wholesale
switching of Unicode libraries through either compile-time options or
run-time binding.

In contrast, Stefan's idea provides compile-time switching.  And its
sooo easy to implement.

> - The API would be less clear (But, it works for std::string)

Hardly.  This is exactly what the standard library does for string--they
template based on the type.  And since libxml++ is, after all, a C++
project then why restrict yourself to some half-assed subset of C++
syntax just because you, Murray, haven't taken the time to familiarize
yourself with it.

I realize that I'm "just another observer" here but its still sad to
watch as Stefan keeps trying to move this little project in a better
direction only to receive constant abuse from Murray in the form of
irrelevant (the mostly-OT discussion of Qt strings above was deleted
from this email) and/or moronic responses like the ones above.

Libxml++ could become a nice, clean alternative to Xerces-C++ but until
more of Stefan's ideas get implemented I'm afraid projects should prefer
the latter.  Or just deal with the C API of libxml2.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed eh3 com,  ehill mines edu