Re: FW: Libsoup patches // Performance metrics

Hi Sergio,

En 09/04/13 13:37, Ennes, Pieter escribiu:
Hi,

Linked to below are two old patches to libsoup-2.30 that I'd like to discuss for enhancement:

1) https://bitbucket.org/watchmouse/libsoup/commits/0e514092bb9733f4c548aa65ec13cca24f240b98

A SoupMessage 'got-raw-chunk' event, analogous to the existing 'got-chunk', but emitted just before the
chunk body is decoded. It allows the client to inspect the content as it goes over the wire, which we use
to get an accurate measure of the number of bytes received, but I can imagine it could serve different
purposes. Or I can imagine there are easier ways to obtain the same information.

The current trend in libsoup is to use the stream infrastructure instead
of the SoupMessage signals. One example of using the network raw data is
the SoupCache that caches it on disk.

Sounds promising; will research how it's done there, thanks.

2) https://bitbucket.org/watchmouse/libsoup/commits/0a1b41879e39e216b61cadc56c320661e3364566

A SoupSession 'connection-starting' event, analogous to 'connection-created', allowing the client to get
a sense of how much time was spent setting up the connection.

Thirdly, I'm interested (but no patch yet) in being able to accurately measure the DNS lookup time per
connection created. However, we could use some guidance for the best implementation considering the async
case and and the recent DNS prefetching work.

I think what you need is to connect to the recently added SoupMessage's
"network-event" signal. It will allow you to properly measure things
like DNS resolution, TLS handshaking or proxy negotiation times.

Great! That's indeed exactly what we need going forward.

It's good to see upstream mature in a way that obsoletes our hacks.

Thanks,

- Pieter