newbie wants data from google scholar

Dear friends,
I am a complete newbie in fetching data from website(beyond using
wget).
My current project(self assigned, for fun! not a homework) needs
fetching data from google scholar. Since, other part of the project is
based on gtk, I am thinking of using libsoup for the purpose.
But libsoup tutorial in gnome-dev is completely latin to a newbie.

Can you please provide me a simple program using libsoup for getting and
scrapping HTML page?
Also, can you kindly guide me to a better tutorial for libsoup?