Re: [sigc] Build fails on Arch Linux

About the build directory: I don't know if 'build' is the best possible name for that directory. Other packages, e.g. glibmm and gtkmm, also have build directories with m4 files. I don't think it's meant for out-of-tree-builds.

About the compilation errors: The results of some configure checks are strange.
checking if C++ compiler supports the use of a particular specialization when calling operator() template methods.... no
checking if C++ compiler supports the use of a particular specialization when calling operator() template methods omitting the template keyword.... no
checking if C++ compiler allows usage of member function in initialization of static member field.... yes
checking whether C++ library symbols are declared in namespace std... no
checking for non-standard Sun libCstd reverse_iterator... no
The first two 'no' here results in SIGC_WORKAROUND_OPERATOR_PARENTHESES being defined as sun_forte_workaround, which is probably wrong.
The 'no' in the fourth line, testing whether C++ library symbols are declared in namespace std, is not reasonable. That's an obsolete test, which has long been unnecessary. Even half-modern C++ standard libraries have their symbols declared in namespace std. Something is wrong here, but I don't know exactly what's wrong. Reasonable results are 'yes' on at least one of the first two tests, and on the fourth test.

Kjell