Re: [sigc] trying to compile a static library version

On Monday 30 July 2007, Hans Meine wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. Juli 2007 19:02:52 schrieben Sie:
> > >   // MS VC7 Warning 4251 says that the classes to any member
> > > objects in an // exported class must be also be exported.  Some
> > > and don't need to be used from the outside, and ignoring the
> > > warning // seems to have no adverse effects, so that seems like a
> > > good enough // solution for now.
> Our problem *is* with a non-static build.  I don't know MSVC myself,
> but here is the error message that my colleague gets (sorry for the
> German parts, it says "reference to not resolved external symbol ...
> in function ..."):

In my s11n project (http://s11n.net) we have the same problem: libs11n
makes heavy use of std::vector, std::list, and std::map, none of which
are "properly exportable" using the MSVC linker model due to their
internal use of templates types (e.g. iterators) which we cannot
export. The only workaround i've found is to compile the whole libs11n
as part of the client application, as opposed to linking it in from a
DLL. Maybe you can do something similar with sigc++?

--
----- stephan beal
http://s11n.net/home/stephan/