Re: [sigc] conditions in libsigc

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 19:54 +0300, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I suggest that you try to distribute this in a separate library for now.
> > I'm not sure that people will consider it worthwhile to introduce the
> > extra concept into their code, but let's see if they like it.
>
> It's pointless.  I will never convince Gtkmm people to use another library
> and conditions only make sense when they are built-in in the GUI classes.

It sounds like you are suggesting a huge addition of API. For instance,
several new objects for every property. That's certainly not worth the
small gain.

If you can't make this generic then it doesn't seem worthwhile. If you
can make it generic then you can put it in a separate library, and
that's the best way to keep it generic and allow it to mature.

> The only alternative I can see is to build low-level functionality in
> Glibmm instead of sigc, but sigc is a more logical place since conditions
> only depend on signals presence.
>
> Is your decision final?

I'm not sure what you would like to put in glibmm or libsigc++. You've
just said that it must be in gtkmm. But feel free to try to persuade me
with a patch. Also, I'm not the only libsigc++ maintainer.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com