Re: [sigc] Linking dynamically with SigC++

Note up front: please say if you want to be CC'ed, I didn't do so in my other
reply and it seems you have missed that.

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 18:08, Magnus Lindberg wrote:
> Windows (MSVS.Net 2003).

That's VC7.1, in non-marketing speak.

> > > Does linking dynamically with SigC++ (if possible) entail that any
> > > special considerations must be made when using SigC++?
> >
> > The what?
>
> Then if it's rather complicated I might do something else, for example
> use Boost instead.

I haven't looked at the 2.x versions, but normally dynamic linking is possible
and supported. On the other hand, if you are not using GTKmm, I don't think
the difference between Boost.Signal and libsigC++ is that big.

> (I hope you don't mind my asking; perhaps I could attempt to modify
> the source/project settings to find out whether it's possible, but
> I'd rather not because I'm somewhat short of time...)

Set the project-type (under the 'General' settings) to DLL and set two defines
(in order to get the _declspec(dllexport) stuff working) - at least that's
all it took with libsigC++ 1.x.

> I no longer need to know whether it's possible to link dynamically. The
> reason I wanted to know that had something to do with the LGPL license
> and someone thought we needed to link dynamically or otherwise publish
> object files or source code files.

That's true. LGPL requires that people are able to relink your executable with
a modified version of the LGPLed code, so either you ship objectfiles or use
dynamic linking. Or, of course, provide the source.

Uli

Visit our website at <http://www.domino-printing.com/>
This Email and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any reading, redistribution, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer.

E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception, viruses and unauthorised amendment and Domino UK Limited does not accept liability for any such corruption, interception, viruses or amendment or their consequences.