Re: [sigc] Re: [Boost-users] Signals & Slots

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 20:09, Carl Nygard wrote:

> > > Yup, and Boost.Signal has signal<void (float, string)> notation as
> > > well.  I was trying to keep the examples as identical as possible to
> > > show commonalities, but I'll make a note.
> >
> > The API here seems to be different, so it would be useful to show that.
> >
> > I don't think anybody is interested in using some secondary API
> > (probably semi-internal API) just because that API is similar in both
> > libsigc++ and Boost.Signal.
>
> Sorry, I thought the reason for the comparisons was as a first step for
> C++ standard library, so I figured the analysis should concentrate on
> underlying implementation instead of syntactic conveniences... although
> those conveniences go a long way toward making the library usable.  I'll
> update the docs...

Docs updated.  Fuller explanations added for Slots.  Also reorganized
the sections and simplified some of the examples.  Significant changes
to the Slot and SigMgmt sections.

Questions that need answers:

a) Can slots be used independently from signals as functors which hide
the actual implementation?  I can see that such an object would be
useful, especially if it had the advantage of automatic disconnection on
class dtor to protect from dangling pointers.

b) can libsigc++ take a plain functor object as parameter to connect()

c) Can someone verify my comparison of Boost.Bind to the libsigc++
Adaptor classes?

I'll be working on the code examples next.

Regards,
Carl