Re: libseed-list libseed is disappearing and what can we do about it

Replies in-line..

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:40 AM, Danilo Cesar Lemes de Paula wrote:
Hi folks,

I want to start this email with an important consideration:
Seed is dead, long live Seed!

I was looking for projects using seed, and looks like that at least in
Debian libseed is long gone. It's still being packaged on Fedora, but no
one is using it.
Without a reasonably popular dependent package, I guess that there is little motivation to package it.. Classic chicken/egg problem..
Looking for rdepends seed it's not required by anyone. Libpeas was using
it a while back, but they removed the dependency so we lost epiphany,
our last important user.

Considering that, I have a proposal:

Killing it the way it's now and making it a new tool.
At Collabora,  seed is an important component for a project and we are
willing to maintaining it. However, we would like to propose to drop
some parts of it and using the GJS compatibility mode as the default
mode. Since seems that there's no other project using it, it might be a
good idea.
My only dependencies on seed are
a) the code that generates the documentation for our Javascript library - this may be converted to vala eventually though. [1] b) the documentation for seed and gjs, which I very very occasionally update... [2]

Neither of which are that complicated to change if you change the API/ABI etc..

You may as well keep calling it seed... and just break the API/ABI.. bump the version etc.. I doubt it's really going to see more of an adoption in it's current iteration.

So, the plan would be:
We won't care about ABI break at this point. The API will probably
change considerably. Some components like SeedEngine shouldn't be a
global entity anymore and probably be a GObject.
Private header will be private, so no more header duplication...
Also, seed seems to care about some old behavior that I think we should
drop completely.
Not that fussed on this, I've only seen a couple of bug reports about changing the SeedEngine API over the years, not sure if those project that where using it are still alive.
That being said, I would like to think that the final goal would be to
make seed comparable to gjs, feature-wise. And, of course, allowing gjs
(which is the de facto javascript engine for gnome) code to run on seed.
There are quite a few benefit's to this... - gnome shell comes to mind, and anyone scripting webkit might benefit from a reduced library overhead..

A bit of redundancy in picking JS engines for those projects would always help..

I'm not seeing much movement in this mailing list, so I'm also inviting
Alan and some old Maintainers to the discussion.

I know you guys did a lot of work on it, and I'm sure you want to see it
being used again.
I say that about all the projects I work on ;) - although my user base usually ends up with 3 people ...

Regards
Alan

That's it guys,

Cheers,