Re: libseed-list libseed is disappearing and what can we do about it

Sorry guys, I've sent this from the wrong email and it got rejected by
the libseed mailing list.

Sending it again from the correct one.

Hi folks,

I want to start this email with an important consideration:
Seed is dead, long live Seed!

I was looking for projects using seed, and looks like that at least in
Debian libseed is long gone. It's still being packaged on Fedora, but no
one is using it.
Looking for rdepends seed it's not required by anyone. Libpeas was using
it a while back, but they removed the dependency so we lost epiphany,
our last important user.

Considering that, I have a proposal:

Killing it the way it's now and making it a new tool.
At Collabora,  seed is an important component for a project and we are
willing to maintaining it. However, we would like to propose to drop
some parts of it and using the GJS compatibility mode as the default
mode. Since seems that there's no other project using it, it might be a
good idea.

So, the plan would be:
We won't care about ABI break at this point. The API will probably
change considerably. Some components like SeedEngine shouldn't be a
global entity anymore and probably be a GObject.
Private header will be private, so no more header duplication...
Also, seed seems to care about some old behavior that I think we should
drop completely.

That being said, I would like to think that the final goal would be to
make seed comparable to gjs, feature-wise. And, of course, allowing gjs
(which is the de facto javascript engine for gnome) code to run on seed.

I'm not seeing much movement in this mailing list, so I'm also inviting
Alan and some old Maintainers to the discussion.

I know you guys did a lot of work on it, and I'm sure you want to see it
being used again.

That's it guys,

Cheers,

Danilo