libseed-list GSoC 2010 Ideas

Hi everyone,

I'm just sending in a few ideas I have for Google Summer of Code. I'd
really appreciate any feedback!

My first idea is a jQuery-like library. The library would provide
wrappers around Gnome libraries (such as GTK, GLib/Gio, Clutter) and
make it very simple to use CSS like selectors, make AJAX-like
requests, get values of GTK widgets, do simple animations (fade and
property tweening), etc. The purpose is to just make it extremely
simple for web developers to make Gnome-based applications.

My second idea is to provide the HTML5 API in Seed. It'd be nice to be
able to use Canvas, WebGL, Local Storage, Web Sockets, Drag and Drop,
Web Workers and Web Media (the video and audio element API). The
purpose for this is similar to the first idea - I want to make desktop
development familiar to web developers.

Johan Dahlin has done a little bit of work on this front by
implementing Canvas for GJS:

http://blogs.gnome.org/johan/2010/03/30/bridging-the-development-gap-between-desktop-and-web/

What do you think? What are the chances of these projects being
chosen? Would this project or Summer of Code be more suited to GJS?

Thanks for your help,
Brian McKenna